Sunday 8 August 2010

Who do I think I am, Ken Bruce..?

For those who dont know/can be bothered to google, Ken Bruce is a DJ on BBC Radio 2, a fine radio station here in the UK, I still occasionally listen to Radio 1, but being over 40 the law says that I am too old, but not old enough to listen to Radio 3/4, so Radio 2 it is.

I now feel like a Radio 2 DJ, with my latest purchase, used I may add, a Heil GM-5 broadcast mic, shock mount and boom arm, along with a foot switch.

It came with wiring for an Icom radio, which worked very well with another recent purchase, a near mint old-school Icom 735, I bought this in a small lot with an MFJ ATU and a rotator, I actually just wanted the rotator, the idea being to sell on the Icom and ATU.

Anyway as the TS-480 is the main shack radio, I needed to rewire the Icom lead to Kenwood, looking on the internet I found this site - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rg4wpw/date.html.

What a fantasic site, I found the diagrams for the two radio's and found that the only difference was on the PTT line, so I swapped the wires, plugged in, no PTT, then I realised that as the PTT line works to ground, this is on a different pin as well, swapping that did the trick, so I've saved myself perhaps £30 on a new lead, as this lead also plugs into my EQ deck, so has XLR and a 6.3mm jack socket.

Only problem is I now need to sort out some RF issue's on my TX audio on parts of 20m I'm getting now.




Actually I've decided I dont want to be Ken Bruce, I going to be Chris Evans, and why, well because he has more Ferrari's !

2 comments:

  1. Paul check out this Yahoo group for the TS480 there are a lot of useful tips on mic connections and how to get round RF in the audio amongst other tips. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TS-480/

    73

    Ken

    G3SDW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ken,

    Thanks for that, I didnt know there was a 480 group on yahoo.

    We are doing a session on morse next week at the club if your free and fancy showing us newbies how it's done !

    73 Paul.

    ReplyDelete