Wednesday 20 January 2010

Radio+decorating-XYL=Fun..

Pay attention at the back, here is today's math lesson..

Well actually not, too old for that brain ache, but if you are looking at the formula above and thinking what is he on about, then I'll explain.

I have been off work, and the wife suggested a while back I decorate the back bedroom, in fairness to her it needed doing and as I dont get a lot of time off, this week it had to be.

Yesterday I read about a massive solar flare - http://psc.suijs.info/ - and the chances of 11m opening up, I happened to mention this to the good lady to be greeted by 'DONT SPEND ALL DAY ON THE RADIO..' As if..!

Anyway today, brush and roller in hand, busy at it, tuned into the 555 and what do I hear a station from Sweden, very quick QSO as much QSB and back to it.

Later I start hearing some Scottish voices, so rushed into the shack to work a station on FM 5/9 + 60 dB both ways, then Ireland's coming in, managed to work two stations from N. Ireland, one mobile with 5/9's both ways.

The propogation has shifted now to mainland Europe, so for now it's back to the decorating, my DX appetite fulfilled...for now !

Here endeth todays math lesson.

2 comments:

  1. Hallo Paul,

    Thanks for the PSC Propagation info. I have subscribed as it is useful stuff. BTW what do the signs < and > mean. I know it has to with "up to" and "greater than" but I don't know which is which!

    Paul wasn't readable today but thanks for listening out (and hearing) me. Apparently Bas (PE4BAS) heard me strength 8 at his QTH.

    Well done on the contacts on 11M. Great to get on the radio.

    Tomorrow I have a busy day - I see an old lady in the afternoon and sit and chat to keep her company for an hour or so, than I shall do a trial run on setting up my 817 with the MP-1 and tuning it up for 2M as I am going around to Alan's to show him this set-up and will transmit from there for the net.

    Will try and set-up my longwire for 80M this weekend.

    Hope you are enjoying your week off - wx pretty good so far.

    Bye for now, Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Adam, been a busy day also, no blog and off out now for my mum's b'day, taking her out for a posh meal, cheers for now, Paul.

    ReplyDelete