Sunday 13 February 2011

Facebook HAM friends.

Unless you have been living in a cave for the last few years, you will have undoubtedly have heard of Facebook, well I'm not going to and start a debate on it's pros and cons, however I will say that is works for me personally.

For example I have a friend Adriano, IZ3SVI, from Venice, Italy who likes to work portable of a weekend, so he'll put a post up on an Amateur Radio page advertising his event, then assuming there is enough signal for his phone, post updates as to what frequency he is working.

However today he had no signal up on Pizzock Mountain, but luckily I managed to find him on 20m, not easy when he is in qso with his pal in Venice, and I barely speak tourist Italian !

As we have only become friends through Facebook and have never actually spoken to each other, it was a real pleasure to finally be able to, Ady was a 5/7 though faded badly with the qsb, and finally recovered back to a 5/3 or so, with the 100 watts and vertical fishing pole antenna !

Here is a pic of Adriano, doing what he loves best !


And here is my facebook page link - go on poke me !

4 comments:

  1. Hi Paul,
    Nice post, yes Facebook has some good points, meeting new friends and finding old ones. I just don't get running a farm!
    Best Regards, Jim W2KLM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jim, thanks for stopping by my blog, yes I agree with you, though it's easy to spend too much time on facebook, with regards to the farm, give me an antenna farm anyday, now there's my type of work !

    73 Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning Paul, it's true facebook can have lots of advantages. As a side note saw the movie on the weekend about the person who started face-book....odd character. Well have fun face-booking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mike, I havent seen the film as yet, though I hear it's very good.

    I suppose it's another way of keeping in touch as well, when the bands are dead !

    73 Paul.

    ReplyDelete