Friday 4 February 2011

Many hands make light work..

Yes, so they may, but when it comes to radio, 'many ears make light work...of the DX'.

This week I have been off work, but instead of lying in I have been up around 0800 and on the radio, and with the help of fellow club Ham, M0PAW, Keith, who also lives in Torquay, we have been working together to work the DX, and I would like to say, we haven't done too bad.

Using 145.5375 FM as a contact frequency, we scanned the bands, 40m and 20m, and also using the DX cluster, would tell each other of any good dx, and so far this week have bagged the following.

I worked -
31/1/11 - 08:14 VK7GK, Gerry, in Tasmania on 40m.
03/02/11 - 08.10 ZL4IV, Rex on South island, New Zealand, on 40m.

With Keith and I working together -

03/02/11 - 09:10 PY6RT, Rob in Brazil on 20m
03/02/11 - 09:40 C5YK, Andre, in The Gambia, on 20m.
 and today.. VK2GHK, Henk, just north of Sydney, also on 20m.

All the contacts were SSB with 100 watts into the ZS6BKW, with Keith using a rotatable dipole by Comet.

I have now worked VK on 2 bands with a bit of wire, which due to the high winds here last night now has a thick telephone cable resting on it, will call British Telecom later to report.

Lastly, Henk (VK2GHK) has a website whereby if you have worked him, you can print out your QSL card, and here it is !

6 comments:

  1. Hi Paul, 100 watt and your ZS antenna will do. Propagation to VK land was good. I was reported with WSPR with 5 watt the last few days in VK land. Bas PE4BAS with 1 watt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul, I have been watching your reports, all information is good.

    It's crazy to think what a watt will do, love it !

    73 Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... and a little work too...
    Nice going chaps. I wish I could be off work too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paul, VK2GWK Henk is very well known here in my country. As he is a Dutch guy and was/is active in the Netherlands as well. I met him myself a few times on 20 and 15m. You made some nice DX, that is what you can do if you got some time. DX rule number 1: You have to be there to work it. 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Back to work on Tuesday next week, hey ho, still as I said to my pal locally, I will look back on this week with some fondness.

    Worked into San Diego, California as well yesterday, that doesn't get much more SW stateside, cant seem to do any wrong at the moment...touch wood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Paul
    Pretty good going, I have worked ZL and VK but that was many years ago using a 1/2 sized G5RV, I have not worked any since - maybe this year ?
    Have not run this FT450 above 20w yet......;-)
    Plenty of DX out there - good stuff.

    Rgds Peter

    ReplyDelete