Sunday 24 October 2010

Unusual contact on 10m.

10m was open yesterday afternoon into Europe and Stateside, however not for the want of trying, I could manage neither, well that's not strictly true as I did manage to contact G0SXC, Kevin in Clitheroe, Lancs.

Signal reports of 5/3-0 with qsb were exchanged and later as I did not get his full qth, I emailed Kevin as I was interested in his opinion as to what type of propogation occurred, it was too far for ground wave. 

Here is the email and the replies..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thx paul not sporadic e   its out of season and i was beaming usa  had quite a lot of backscatter that direction so im sure you was too  so your signal was going half way across the atlantic and then bouncing back to me  dont know what antenna you were using if directiona i bet you were also beaming usa

--- On Sat, 23/10/10, Paul  wrote:

From: Paul
Subject: Re: 10m contact
To: "Kevin
Date: Saturday, 23 October, 2010, 21:09

Hi Kevin, sorry, yes 2E0PCZ, located in Torquay, Devon, tell me do you think the contact was sporadic 'e', I would have thought so as I had qsb on your signal, but after reading your page, not so sure..?
 
 

From: 
Sent: Saturday, October 23, 2010 9:06 PM
To: 
Subject: Re: 10m contact

paul you havent given your call sign so i do dontknow where your are was you down in torbay??
yes i use the antenna in the picture and im in clitheroe lancs


--- On Sat, 23/10/10, Paul Colyer <> wrote:

From: Paul Colyer
Subject: 10m contact
To:
Date: Saturday, 23 October, 2010, 14:23

Hi Kevin,
 
Thanks for the brief qso a few minutes ago, it was very difficult to hear you and I never heard where your QTH is..
 
Was you using the big yagi I have just read about ?
 
I was using a 5/8 vertical, Kenwood TS-480, Heil GM5 mic and the 50 watts.
 
73 and thanks,
Paul.

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have a look at Kevins QRZ.com page at G0SXC, and here is a picture of his monster 10m yagi.




No comments:

Post a Comment