Monday 24 January 2011

G4ILO Echolink node.

I expect that most of my blog followers also follow the blog of Julian, G4ILOhttp://blog.g4ilo.com/ - However publicity usually is always good, so when I read about Julian getting his application for an echolink node approved, I thought I would see if I could access his node via my iPod with the echolink app I downloaded.


At first it said the node was busy, so I left it, I tried again later, even though it was still saying busy, anyway it connected and Julian answered !


Julian's audio was very good, with no distortion, I have to admit that I am an 'RF man', however it was good fun and has now encouraged me to try the echolink on the iphone a little more often, as I don't have a radio on me all the time !


G4ILO-L is EchoLink node number 3098.

http://www.echolink.org/
http://itunes.apple.com/app/echolink/id350688562?mt=8

4 comments:

  1. I too read Julian's blog on his latest Echolink adventure. I have the Iphone but not the app as of yet to get into Echolink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike, you need the 2nd link I posted, and a jpeg of your license to email (http://www.echolink.org/validation/), by the way, I did exactly this on Christmas Day of all days, (ipod was a present) and received conformation through within 30 mins.

    73 Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paul.

    It was nice to chat with you via EchoLink yesterday. I agree it is not the same as a direct RF contact. But like blogging, qrz.com, going to club meetings etc. it is a very good adjunct to it. It makes it possible to talk to people to whom you might never get good radio propagation. And if, like me, you live in a location where there is very little VHF activity and you cannot put up an antenna that is effective on the bands that are open at night it may be the only way to make any QSOs at all at that time of day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julian,

    This is what excites me about Amateur Radio, that one has the 'license' to explore and experiment, and echolink most definitely has it's place in our hobby.

    I was thinking about what you said regarding the node once the blog post has disappeared off your front page, and that is a simple link to an info page, say just below your shack link, however be warned, as I suspect you may get lots of calls coming through, not so good if you are in the middle of tea !

    You mentioned that you are allowed 5 watts, and I know that a local RF node to me uses 10 watts, are you able to upgrade later, is there a 'probationary' period..?

    73 Paul.

    ReplyDelete