Thursday 6 January 2011

West Coast surfin' USA with NB7PX..

Been a bit poorly the last few days with the old 'man flu' bug that's doing the rounds, anyway managed to get some cover at work and slipped away home early today and straight to bed.

Woke up a few hours later, around 1500 GMT and span around 20m only to hear a couple of West Coast, Stateside stations ragchewing, I have not managed to work this area, and it's not for the want of trying.

Whenever I am in the shack I have 3 pages on the PC screen, QRZ.com, DX Cluster and DX sherlock, which gives propogation path maps for each band, so I had a look on the cluster to see what DX is about and noticed a DX net on 14244 with NB7PX, Jerry, in Oregan, this caught my eye as these nets I have found to be the easiest way to work some DX.

He was calling for stations, only the last two letters, it took two calls and 'Charlie Zulu' was on the list !

Jerry gave me two reports over the hour I was on, initially a 5/8 and then a 5/6 as the band was starting to close.

Thanks a lot to Jerry, I feel a lot better now, nothing like a bit 'surfing USA' to banish the winter bugs !



2 comments:

  1. Very good on snagging NB7PX it's always a nice surprise when our signals make it through. I have never hear of DX Sherlock before but I did Google it and seems to be a very useful program.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike, that site used to be VHF only, but was recently expanded for the HF bands, it's really just a map representation of the cluster spots, very useful though !

    73 Paul.

    ReplyDelete