Friday 14 May 2010

BOGOFF

BOGOFF - No I wouldnt dream of being so rude, this acronym is common here in the UK, it stands for Buy-One-Get-One-Free, so rapidly getting to the point it means I have two blog subjects today.

First is that I made my first contact on the 'magic band' 6m this afternoon to IZ5MJZ, Rolando, NW Italy. It was a pretty difficult contact with literally only my callsign confirmed, still contact was made, the antenna I used was my ex-cb Sirio 827, a 5/8 vertical, it has a low swr on 6m, but how resonant it is I have no idea, but between my long wire and the loft mounted co-linear (which is a 6m/2m/70cm) the Sirio has the better 'ears'

Secondly, a pal of mine, Nick, 2E0GDQ kindly lent me a 2m handie after a recent conversation. I already have an Icom IC-E7 which I really like, but it's only 1.5W output, and after talking to Adam, M6RDP and his experiences with his Jing Tong, I am now in possesion of a WEIREWEI V1000, it's 2m with an output of 5W.

I have to say the extra power means I can access the local repeater even from downstairs in the house, something I can't do on the Icom, in fact I keyed up by the computer here and the mouse promptly froze up along with a very loud buzz through the speakers, RF overload !

2 comments:

  1. Very nice-looking radio Paul. As you probably have guessed, I am a great fan of these great-value Chinese radios that really give the big three a run for their money. I shall bring my Nagoya antenna for you to borrow on Monday and see what you think.

    The Puxing VHF 5W radio was around £30 on eBAY recently. Add around £8 for the customs fee and the VAT and it is still a great bargain if you ask me.

    Nice to chat to you on 2m. I don't know why I don't call for you on 500 more often. I shall try and put that right in future! Hopefully my biscuit tin base station will be up and running by then.

    I don't suppose you have a 2m antenna terminating in a PL259 to put temporarily on David's magmount to try before I buy one?

    73 Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adam,

    Sorry no 2m antenna's here, all I have is the 1/4 wave whip on the mobile, oh I do have a tiny whippy magmount think, but it has an SMA connector on the end, so probably no good to you.

    I dont take offence if you dont want to talk to me, that's fine !!! ;-)

    73 Paul.

    ReplyDelete