Monday 22 March 2010

Home brew dipole

Been at work over the weekend which means I can find a little time for radio from the mobile, I only have a whip for 20m, however I found a nice plastic pole kicking about, around 10' long...

As a teen on the cb bands I made a dipole of which one leg was hung out my bedroom window, as my Dad would not let me put up an outdoor antenna, so yesterday I made a dipole for 40m as an inverted vee running N/S.

Using my HF analyzer made trimming it to 7100 a breeze and I was on the bands, then I found my new ears were picking up around S9 of QRM, not so good.

I did manage one contact though, GI8SKN, David in Carrickfergus north of Belfast, for a nice 5/9 both ways, my first into N.Ireland.




Thinking later I'm puzzled, as I put the dipole up to work Europe/USA, east/west.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Paul, a dipole is a good antenna. Though in urban locations we pick up always a lot of man made noise. My broad band vertical picks up less noise. My dipole does pick up more noise. We'll have to live with it, I'm afraid. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete