Tuesday 16 February 2010

Beamed here

Well the little beam has just arrived, unpacked to find four continuosly wound fibreglass whips, a little like cb dv27's with screw thread adjusters at the ends with the aluminium beam and so-239 socket.

Initial tests at less than optimum heights show that it's resonant on 20 and 40m (not 40/80 as incorrectly posted previously), on the analyzer it shows a pretty narrow bandwidth for a <2:1 swr, understandable really given it's physical length.

I would have thought once it's up on a pole away from the ground it will behave better.

Also some more good news, Ron at the Radio Club has confirmed the date 8th March for my Foundation License exam, barring a complete b@@ls up I should at last be on the bands with my 10 watts, it really cant come soon enough.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Paul, I am very curious what the results will be, please let us know. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul, I too am curious about your results. I would love to have a little beam like that up on the roof. Will you have yours up there or in the loft? Three week's time and you should have your pass certificate and be awaiting a callsign. Any idea what suffix you'll choose? 73 Adam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking at the aerial says to me that it's not a beam at all but two loaded dipoles for 20/40.

    The pictures shows the top elements which are the 40m ones, with the bottom two the 20m elements.

    Each whip is a helically wound top loader with SWR adjustment.

    Adam - Re my suffix, I think PAC, as PC for my initials, also PAC is the first 3 initials of my cb handle since age 13 ! CLUE - 80's video arcade game.

    ReplyDelete