Saturday 13 February 2010

Some new wire.

I am currently working night shift's, so am asleep in the morning, as is usual with me something always wakes me up, next doors children/dog is the usual along with the Postman, and as an avid eBayer the latter waking me up I dont mind.

I won some 'various amateur aerials', so anyway I opened the box to be greeted with lots of new wire and a feeder that I have never used, the twin open wire.

As we know this stuff has a higher impedance than coax, 300/450 ohms versus the coax's 50 odd ohms, my location and structures means an end-fed with coax is a more practical solution, but I can never resist a bargain and the opportunity to try something different.

My mind is now racing on how I can put up a centre-fed aerial, perhaps inverted-vee in the loft and bring the ladder line straight to the back of the MFJ tuner, hmmm, happy days !

UPDATE - Listening to a station LZ10ARDF on 20m, and heard him call back PC4T, Paul, who follows my blog, could not hear Paul unfortunately, this contest is great for anyone in Holland, they are very much in demand !

http://pacc.veron.nl/

4 comments:

  1. Hi Paul, Wish everything that arrived in the post for me was that exciting! Have fun with the antennas. The PACC contest is fun: having a busy weekend so not too much time to devote to radio but got on for an hour or so this morning and made a few PA contacts. Highlight was speaking to Bas (PE4BAS) - we follow each other's blogs. His cat just weeed on their house electrics and all the lights went out! See you soon, Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Paul, Finally I worked LZ10ARDF, he's in my log. It was fun to work QRP with the PACC contest. Good catch all the wire antenna's, you will find a destination for them ;-) 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wires are are all centre-fed dipoles with the twin feeder and a couple of GSRV's as well, not sure they will be used at home I have a feeling they'll be used for radio club weekends and other portable op's.

    LOL with the cat, we have two here, one quite elderly now who likes to do her buisness in the bath, at least it's easy to clean up, we have a catflap but she's a typical lady and wont be told !

    ReplyDelete