Thursday 4 February 2010

A visitor to the shack..

My new pal Adam (M6RDP) from the radio club came around on Monday, I wanted his advice on putting up a longer wire (45m) and ideas on how to get it up and over a high tree branch in the copse backing onto my garden.

Also I wanted somone 'radio' to see my shack, I'm quite proud of what I've put together, but the only people who have seen it are not radio-types and dont really appreciate what's gone into putting a station together.

I think Adam liked my station, he seemed most impresssed with the lack of noise on the bands, that could be down to the antenna though !

On it's way is a commercial wire antenna, very similar to what I am using now perhaps, but I want to see it's construction and performance as I have a little idea milling about building and selling wire ham antenna's on a well known auction site, there are only a few people doing this, and if I can build the right type of product easily and find the right target market, it could be an enjoyable and maybe profitable sideline..?

3 comments:

  1. Hello Paul, I saw this video on Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OVAutjN0_U

    A sort of antenna launcher. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that Paul good job that actions speak louder than words !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a good afternoon didn't we. I thought your shack was fantastic! Very impressive indeed. I will reply to your email tomorrow as I have a few chores to do now, but for the meantime have a look at my reply to your previous question about marine frequencies in comments on my blog as I have listed a few of the local marine band channels there. The bay is choc-a-bloc full of big ships at the moment - perhaps the strong gales are partly to blame? Any estimate on the date for your exam? Sounds from your email that it could be quite soon........

    ReplyDelete