Tuesday 6 April 2010

Nice PSK31 QSO and 40m groundwave propogation.

I met Rob, G3XFD on the waterfall last night, Rob is the Editor of Practical Wireless, we had a really good conversation with virtually no macro's !

Here is a picture of Rob from his QRZ.com page -

And here is a copy of the QSO -

-------------------------------------------------------------------

20:08:56> Main

G3XFD G3XFD de M6PCZ M6PCZ M6PCZ pse kn
nt-ÅGOOD EVENON OM I JUSTSAW YOU CALLING AN UR5 STATION I THINK! NICE SIG 599. MY NAME IS ROB AND QTH IS BOURNEMOUTH HOW COPY? BTU K

-

zs
20:10:18> Main
G3XFD G3XFD de M6PCZ M6PCZ M6PCZ pse kn
COPYING U 599 OM TRY AGAIN UR 599 DE ROB G3XFD K

-

*e
20:11:14> Main
G3XFD de M6PCZ are you copyoing me Rob please confirm
SOLID COPY FROM UR FIRST CALL OM GA PSE K DE ROB G3XFD Ks t? r le
20:12:01> Main
G3XFD de M6PCZ Ok Rob used to all the macro confiming copy, hows Bournmouth tonight, I can see you on qrz.com....are you in the magazine I seem to recognize your picture BTU
et

Atef aiedo

NOT SURE IF YOU'VE GONE BACK TO ME OM BUT HERE WE ARE. BEEN NICE IN BMTH TODAY COOL CLEAR AND SUNNY. FIRST DAY FOR TWO WEEKS WITHOUT RAIN. NOT IN MAGAZINE OFFICE TODAY - AT HOME INSTEAD. WHAT'S YOUR QdH? runmninc an alinco dx7Øth here 5ØW BTU HOW COPY? KI

-

t oh
20:15:01> Main
G3XFD de M6PCZ Ok Rob used to all the macro confiming copy, hows Bournmouth tonight, I can see you on qrz.com....are you in the magazine I seem to recognize your picture BTU OK all understood - qth is in Torquay, I have emailed carl Harris with some HF happenings as I am a new license though been into radio for nearly 3Ø years hope you are copying my 1Ø watts BTU Rob...

et

sGOOD SIGNAL OM Crl mason will be pleaaed to hear from you. your 1ØW doing well 599. i WILL BE AT THE PLYMOUTH CLUB NEXT WEDNESDAY. YOU ARE WELCOME TO JOIN US. 73 CUAGAN FURTHER DOWB THE LOG GL AND WELCOME TO THE BANDS. DE ROB G3XFD GL 73 AND GN K
20:17:44> Main
G3XFD de M6PCZ Ok Rob all recieved - I may well come along have to see wheat i am working, think I may be off, work shifts, thanks and enjoying the bands------OK well Rob, 73 and thanks for the qso, good to type and not auto-macro, 73 for now and hope to catch you again soo, - G3XFD de M6PCZ 73 bye bye...
oyegeo 73 LOOK FORWAERD TO MEETING YOU FACE TO FACE AND ON THE AIR GL AND GN! DE ROB G3XFD

--------------------------------------------------------------------

According to Rob there is a meet at a Plymouth radio club next week on Wednesday, have to look into that.

 
Also last night I hooked up with Adam M6RDP with Hugh 2E0HOO who was at Adam's QTH, Alan M6DXU and Paul 2E0XVI - We all live within a mile of each other, though talking on 40m LSB at times it was quite difficult to hear each other with 5/9 at best from any of them, quite in contrast to a qso I had just prior with a German station coming into me at a genuine 30dB over S9.
 
For someone who has done a lot of groundwave on the cb freq's on various modes it just didnt add up, in fairness the band was quite noisy, around 4-5 's' points, perhaps if we had worked on FM it would have been better.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Paul good to see your trying to break the macro syndrome - I'm trying but It'll take some practice - its about typing speed for me - I did spot your call last night on-screen (Fri) at appx 10:30 you worked an italian station IK2KOY on 40m could not see or hear you though - band was very active last night but only worked a few - spent most time listening/watching at one stage I had about 30 traces on screen - 10m... I keep checking but nothing doing yet - same on 6m - keep up the good work.

    72 Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Peter - What I do now is 'copy' the part, for example, G4NKX de M6PCZ then paste it in, then when I have finished typing just click the 'stop' button.

    That way you can type at the speed that suits you.

    30 traces on 10m, wow, I didnt see it as we were down in the party capital of Cornwall, Newquay a last minute getaway, did take the 2m handie and managed to get into the St Austall repeater from our 1st floor balcony, only managed it the once though, I wonder if there was a slight lift on VHF last night ?

    73 Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peter, shame you wasnt on 80m as I worked M6DRI, in your neck of the woods on the Isle of Wight about 15 mins later !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paul
    Ok on your weekend activities - I was referring to 40m being very busy (not 10m) :-) nothing on ten yet ! did hear whispers on 6m sat - Pm.
    Do not have 80 here yet still toying with the idea that a vertical would do better here than the dipole as we have such a high water table (Ground is very wet still) - ok on the use of Dm780 yes still trying to type ahead here - the macros are just too convenient :-) so I keep changing them...

    73 Peter.

    ReplyDelete